Community Ideas Board
What's Happened So Far?
How Can I Get Involved?
In early 2018, Lexington began the updating the Comprehensive Plan, a process that will consist of many public meetings and require ample public input over the next year and a half or longer (as long as it takes!).
What is the Comprehensive Plan?
The Comprehensive Plan is Lexington's most important document regarding growth, development, and change. It establishes government policy to help guide public and private activities as they relate to land use and resource utilization. The Comprehensive Plan is the basis for land development regulations and decisions (rezonings, conditional use permits), capital improvements (schools, parks, libraries), transportation, environmental and historic resource protection initiatives.
Current Comprehensive Plan
Residents, business owners, property owners, and other stakeholders are invited to fill out our Citizen Survey. Simply click here to fill out yours! All members of your household are welcome to submit one survey.
In order for the updated Comprehensive Plan to reflect resident and stakeholder wants and needs, the City must collect input. Data collected with the survey will be used anonymously to help structure and prioritize goals of the Comprehensive Plan, and in turn, define Lexington's future for land use and development. The survey will be live until August 31, 2018. Please feel free to share the survey link.
Community Ideas Board
Have a topic or idea that you would like to see addressed in the Comprehensive Plan? Submit your own idea using this form --> click here for the form. Click the board below to see ideas that have been submitted so far.
What's happened so far?
- February 22, 2018: Planning Commission began a discussion with staff on the process for the Comprehensive Plan update. Notes submitted by staff for the Planning Commission meeting on Thursday, February 22, 2018 can be viewed here.
- March 8, 2018: A Kick-Off Workshop was held at Hall of Valor on the campus of VMI. About 50 residents, Planning Commissioners and city staff attended and broke off into small groups to brainstorm how to engage stakeholders as well as issues they wanted to see addressed in the Plan. Many of these ideas and issues are depicted in the image below. Notes from the Comprehensive Plan Kick-Off Workshop on March 8, 2018 can be read here.
- March 22 & April 24, 2018: Rockbridge Area Conservation Council held a Comprehensive Plan discussion and forum at Lylburn Downing Middle School.
- April 12, 2018: At their regular meeting, Planning Commission discussed potential community survey questions and layout.
- April 26, 2018: At their regular meeting, Planning Commission continued to discuss the community survey. Staff also presented an overall Scope and Schedule for the Comprehensive Plan Update. View the Draft Community Survey and the Scope and Schedule.
- May 22, 2018: Rockbridge Area Conservation Council helda third Comprehensive Plan discussion and forum at 7PM at Lylburn Downing Middle School. Find out more here.
- June 13, 2018: Planning Commission met with Rockbridge County Planning Commission to collaborate and discuss the County's recent Comprehensive Plan update.
- June 14, 2018: Planning Commission adopted a final Citizen Survey and Scope and Schedule at Planning Commission's regular meeting.
How can I follow the process and get involved?
- Subscribe here to receive news on the update via email.
- Follow the City on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on the Plan (and other City news).
- Attend meetings and provide the City and your Planning Commissioners with your input. If you can't attend in person, feel free to send us an email or give us a call at (540)-462-3704 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Have a question? Want to suggest an idea? Call or email us!
Planning and Development Department:
Planning Director: Arne Glaeser, email@example.com
Support Specialist: Meredith Warfield, firstname.lastname@example.org