In early 2018, Lexington began the updating the Comprehensive Plan, a process that will consist of many public meetings and require ample public input over the next year and a half or longer (as long as it takes!).
What's happened so far?
- February 22, 2018: Planning Commission began a discussion with staff on the process for the Comprehensive Plan update.
- March 8, 2018: A Kick-Off Workshop was held at Hall of Valor on the campus of VMI. About 50 residents, Planning Commissioners and city staff attended and broke off into small groups to brainstorm how to engage stakeholders as well as issues they wanted to see addressed in the Plan. Many of these ideas and issues are depicted in the image below.
- March 22, 2018: Rockbridge Area Conservation Council held a Comprehensive Plan discussion and forum at Lylburn Downing Middle School.
- April 12, 2018: At their regular meeting, Planning Commission discussed potential community survey questions and layout.
Notes and audio from the Comprehensive Plan Kick-Off Workshop on March 8, 2018 can be read here or heard here.
Notes submitted by staff for the Planning Commission meeting on Thursday, February 22, 2018 can be viewed here.
- Staff has been directed by Planning Commission to create a community survey as well as a depiction of the projected sequence of events for the update.
- April 24, 2018: Rockbridge Area Conservation Council will hold a second Comprehensive Plan discussion and forum at 7PM at Lylburn Downing Middle School. Find out more here.
- May 9, 2018 (tentative): Planning Commission will meet with Rockbridge County Planning Commission at 7PM in the Rockbridge County Administrative Offices to collaborate and discuss the County's recent Comprehensive Plan update. This work session will be open to the public.
How can I follow the process and get involved?
- Subscribe here to receive news on the update via email.
- Follow the City on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for updates on the Plan (and other City news).
- Attend meetings and provide the City and your Planning Commissioners with your input. If you can't attend in person, feel free to send us an email or give us a call at (540)-462-3704 or email@example.com.
What is the Comprehensive Plan?
The Comprehensive Plan is Lexington's most important document regarding growth, development, and change. It establishes government policy to help guide public and private activities as they relate to land use and resource utilization. The Comprehensive Plan is the basis for land development regulations and decisions (rezonings, conditional use permits), capital improvements (schools, parks, libraries), transportation, environmental and historic resource protection initiatives.
Current Comprehensive Plan
Have a question? Want to suggest an idea? Call or email us!
Planning and Development Department:
Planning Director: Arne Glaeser, firstname.lastname@example.org
Support Specialist: Meredith Warfield, email@example.com