The commissioner of revenue, as a representative of the City of Lexington and the Commonwealth of Virginia, serves our community by:
- Fairly, accurately, and in accordance with the law assessing property taxes and administering tax relief
- Providing accurate and useful statistical information with which city officials and community members can make decisions
- Facilitating understanding of applicable tax laws and procedures
- Fairly, but aggressively, administering business taxes
- Striving to continuously improve ourselves, our organization, and our procedures to better serve the citizens of Lexington
The commissioner of revenue is a locally-elected constitutional officer responsible for administering various local taxes.